HISTORY OF THE DT’s
Drummond Trinity Cricket Club was founded at the end of 2004 after Drummond Cricket Club and Trinity Academicals Cricket Club merged. Season 2008 was Drummond Trinity’s fourth season in existence, which has seen differing fortunes for the first and second teams. The DT first team has maintained the position won in division 3 by Drummond and has finished every season in either 3rd, 4th or 5th place in the league, narrowly missing out on promotion in 2006 by 4%. DT 2’s have seen less stability and have followed up Trinity Academicals bottom place in Division 5 (but escape from relegation) with consecutive relegations in bottom place from Divisions 5,6 and 7 in 2005, 2006 and 2007 respectively securing only 6 wins in the process! 2008 saw another 3rd place for the 1s but a turn around in fortune for the 2s with a 4th place finish interrupting a 4 year run of bottom place finishes and a Drummond Trinity record number of season wins (10).
A VERY BRIEF HISTORY OF DRUMMOND
Drummond Cricket club were founded in 1982 by a bunch of friends who played cricket for fun in the Meadows and went for a drink afterwards to a bar in the Southside's Drummond Street. After a couple of seasons of friendlies and social games,they applied for membership of the East of Scotland League entering it's then lowest Division 4, in 1984. Their first game at the Meadows was a victory against fellow debutantes Livingston, with Dave Milliken hitting his one and only half century for the club to steer us to victory. The Meadows was the usual venue for home games in the early days before the club gravitated north to Inverleith Park as the 1980s progressed. When playing away from Edinburgh the habitual meeting place was the Fiddler's Pub in the Grassmarket (good pub, sadly no more - but highly impractical with no parking and ideally placed for car convoys to get snarled up in city centre traffic!) Victories were in short supply in our early years in the East League when Drummond often finished at, or near the foot of the table. Nevertheless, the Club always had a strong reputation for being better players than our results generally suggested and for good sportsmanship on the field and for getting the rounds in off it!
1988 saw the Club reach the Quarter Finals of the national Small Clubs Cup and generally results improved as the decade drew to a close. In 1993 we finished second and were promoted to Division 3 under the captaincy of Ted Coutts. Unfortunately we struggled with the step up and were relegated in second bottom place straight away. Generally we competed in the upper reaches of the lowest division for most of the 1990s winning more games than we lost until League reconstruction in 1999 saw us placed in Division 5 of the new set up. Most of us thought that was about right but we contrived to have a terrible end-of-season run which coincided with our closest rivals the OCs winning everything, and we were surprisingly relegated in Season 2000 to Division 6.
That low point was soon forgotten as the Club went on its most successful run ever. Firstly winning Division 6 at a canter, then being promoted straight out of Division 5 as runners-up narrowly to Preston Village in 2002. In 2003 we played probably some of the best team cricket in our lives to win Division 4 narrowly from Holy Cross 2s, a run which included 4 or 5 victories batting first (in the days of drawn matches no mean feat) at the tail end of the season. Our first year at the exalted level of Division 3 was a rough baptism and we only held our place thanks to a dogged victory over relegation rivals Carnegie and the fact that only 1 club was relegated that season. It had also been the first season we tried to run a Second XI which had also stretched the Club's resources considerably. That close season a merger was negotiated with Trinity to form the new Drummond Trinity CC...and the rest as they say, is history.
Below are links to (sadly incomplete - but quite amusing) Drummond Cricket Club records 1984 - 2003.
A HISTORY OF TRINITY ACADEMICALS 1921-1972
1921 to 1939
No definitive founding date has been uncovered yet in the archives. Most of the information for this period comes from the Minute Book dating from 1925. Word of mouth strongly suggests that the Club was formed in 1921. In 1921 Lloyd-George was still Prime Minister, Rangers won the League with Celtic second and Hearts third, while Partick Thistle won the cup. Warwick Armstrong had just led Australia to victory in England. To quote the Editor of Wisden “England were not merely beaten but overwhelmed.”. He goes on to extol the virtues of WG Grace suggesting he would have been” unrivalled as he always was”. A true cricketing conservative but a charming link back to nineteenth century cricket.
The first minute available is for the AGM on the 26th February 1925,Mr F.J. Trotter Club President presiding. Also available is a Receipts and Payments Book starting with the 1924 season. Total receipts £9, 19 shillings and 6 pence. Total payments including a previous years debit balance of £3, 15 shillings and 3 pence was £9, 1 shilling and 7 pence. Certified by the Auditors. This included a 10 bob bung to the groundsman. Until the outbreak of the Second World war the Club remained in credit thanks to regular profitable social events and the gathering of subscriptions. The minutes for the 1924 season refer to a whist drive and dance to raise funds for the purchase of cricket gear. At the meeting in the Trinity Academy Gymnasium it was proposed to start a second eleven, which indicates a growing membership and the benefit of a few years playing experience. The Honorary President was T.M.Duncan, the captain G.Cleugh and the Secretary/Treasurer A.E.Clunie.The committee included C.Barr who may be the father of Douglas Barr who played for Scotland in the fifties and sixties but as a player with Melville College FP.
The playing record of the club becomes clearer as the years progress. From the 1926 season until the war we can just about trace the performance of the first eleven.
YEAR PLAYED WON LOST DRAWN
1926 16 9 6 1
1927 14 9 5 -
1928 16 10 4 2
1929 17 9 6 2
1930 15 9 5 1
1931 15 9 5 1
1932 19 5 11 2
1933 20 12 7 1
1934 19 14 5 -
1935 20 7 9 4
1936 17 9 6 2
1937 20 9 9 2
1938 18 9 8 1
1939 24 9 14 1
1940 22 11 11 -
Over the period the first eleven played 272 games winning 140 and only drawing 40.Evidence of positive and attacking cricket. Records for the 2nd eleven are much patchier and indicate a more erratic playing performance although by 1939 they were playing 20 games winning 12 and losing 8.No league cricket was played by the club. There may have been no leagues in the East of Scotland at this period. Amongst the archives are a selection of pre war fixture cards. The earliest is for 1927 and includes the FP firsts, seconds and school first eleven fixtures. It has a vivid pink cover with fixtures noted against Bonnyrigg, Dundee, Royal Artillery, Kinross-shire, Addiewell as well as more familiar clubs. The school had only seven fixtures against other schools but old rivals Leith and Holy Cross are included.The 1930 card, a delicate pale blue, identifies games against the Royal Army Pay Corp. Portsburgh, St Lukes, Clerwood and the Leith BB to be played at Letham Park just across the road from Bangholm. 1934,dour manly blue, produces fixtures against Muirhouses, East Stirlingshire ,Burntisland ,Newtongrange , Londsdale and the Lions Head. There are 2 games against Broughton, one of which is at Wardie.
There were a number of outstanding performers during this period .DR McClure was a regular wicket taker .In 1927 he took 63 wickets at 4.65 runs each and was 5th in the Scottish Cricket averages. In 1929 he took 58 wickets at 8.1. In 1928 J.A.T.Brown scored a century against Leith -the first in the clubs history. In 1929 he scored 108 against Cupar. In 1930 the club made their record score of 225 for 9 against Leith Franklyn. In 1934 H.Clunie took 62 wickets at 5.7 and DR McClure continued to take plenty of wickets into the thirties. Fifty five in 1937 but then faded from view. New faces started to appear and star in the mid to late thirties .J Steedman and J Simpson were all rounders of note The Whitelaw brothers were notable contributors and J Scrivener and G.Cranston started to make their mark. There were references to cricketers who I played with in the sixties. LL Romanis and JMC Paulis, noble Romans from Cramond, were playing from about 1936/7 and both went on to make a huge contribution to the club over the next 30 years and more. By 1939 it was recorded that 6 members were in the army including T.Wilson the Club President and by the following year 15 members were in the forces and most of the others were involved in war work, home guard, ambulance and as air raid wardens.
Continuing themes over the pre war period seem to be organizing the teas, funding the purchase of gear and the composition of the selection committee. Some things don’t change. The club in partnership with Leith Accies hired the Marine Gardens-now the Bus Depot at Seafield, and danced “to the splendid music of the Maestro Orchestra”. On one occasion this could not be done as the venue was completely given over to the then craze, ice skating! The teas saga is illuminating .At some point tea ladies were in evidence and profusely thanked. At others a tea committee assumed responsibility. One year the provision of teas was outsourced to Scott Lyons bakeries. One minute in 1926 refers to paying over your shilling for tea, the receipt being –your tea. Vandalism raises its ugly head in 1930 when the practice nets are stolen. Of course local fishermen could be suspected .A minute in 1931 laments the reluctance of schoolboys to join the club and a discussion ends with the suggestion of special rates for boys at school. This is agreed but the next year is rescinded. No explanation but something has happened which offended the senior members.
There are a number of references to drafting a constitution for the club starting in 1933. However by the start of the war this is still outstanding. 1933 marked the founding of the East of Scotland Cricket Association of which the club became a founder member. Nineteen thirty seven saw reference to the holding of a smoker and reunion at the Peacock Hotel a venue the club in its current form as Drummond Trinity still uses for the club dinner- but as from March 2006 no smoking. Nineteen thirty nine minutes referred to the club voting in favour of 8 ball overs .I wonder how long that lasted. Also in 1939 recorded LL Romanis thanking the club for the courtesy shown to the schoolboys playing. I played under LL’s captaincy in 1964 aged 15 and he practiced what he preached letting me open the bowling and treating all the boys with care and consideration.
1940 to 1955
There are no formal written records of the club between 1940 and 1946.Reference is made in the minutes of the 1946 AGM to the work of R. Whitelaw in keeping the club going throughout the war. The School Jubilee Magazine in 1943, celebrating 50 years since its foundation contains an interesting reference to the FP cricket Club, which is reproduced in full below:
“The club has been in the fortunate position of being able to carry on during the war years. This has been chiefly due to the enthusiasm of the Club Captain (R.Whitelaw), a steady flow of young cricketers from the school and assistance from members home on leave from H.M.Forces. During this period we have from time to time had valuable assistance from two members of staff in Messrs D.Gemmell and A.G.Mitchell.
Over the four war seasons the club had shown up well against strong opposition and has won the majority of games played. Mr Robert R.Whitelaw has acted as Captain with marked success during the past 4 years. The Secretary is A.W.Main of 14 Craighall Crescent.”
The report on School cricket from the same source is illuminating as this extract tells:
“The fifty odd allotments at Bangholm curtailed the outfield for the younger teams but this had no appreciable effect on their boisterous and carefree style of play, and very little damage was done to the Giant Musselburgh Leek or the Purple Flowering Broccoli.” The first post war AGM took place on the 14th October 1946.Finances were still sound with a credit balance of £9.Records were produced showing that the pre war stars were still in evidence. Joe Scrivener topped the batting averages for 1946 with 340 runs at 18.5 supported by Ian Bell and George Cranston. Scrivener topped the bowling as well with 53 wickets at 4.5,JMC Paulis taking 71 at 5.7.A new skipper in LL Romanis was elected.
The playing record of the club is not often recorded in the available archives for the 40-55 period but in 1946 it is as follows:
Played Won Lost Drawn Tied
1st 20 13 5 1 1
2nd 2 1 1 - -
The minutes of meetings confirm the outstanding bowling performer of the period as JMC Paulis who according to the minutes took 509 wickets between 1946 and 1955 at an annual average ranging between 4.5 and 11. Other bowling notables were Joe Scrivener, D Graham and I Bell ,who according to reliable sources was really quick. In the early fifties Eric and Finlay Orr start to appear. Their bowling figures would suggest they were twins .In 4 years from 1952 to 1955 their bowling statistics were remarkable.
Eric Orr Finlay Orr
1952 23 wkts at 13 24 wkts at 12
1953 37wkts at 10 38 wkts at 11
1954 37wkts at 10 31 wkts at 10
1955 40 wkts at 7.8 44 wkts at 7.5
Unbelievably that means that over these 4 years they each took 137 wickets at around the same average. This is taking sibling rivalry to new heights of precision. Eric disappears after 1955, emigrating to Canada. Finlay continues to take wickets until some years later he too, almost inevitably, joins his brother in Canada.
The batting was less effective. A number of Captains reports suggested that frailty in batting was the key problem in advancing the clubs playing standards and calibre of opposition. Scrivener, Romanis, Paulis and Cranston all regularly made runs over the period but it would seem that problems with the quality of the square and practice wickets at Bangholm militated against the development of the clubs batting strength. The advent of younger batsmen, notably JB Redpath in 1953 started to see an improvement in run getting. The square at Bangholm was relayed in 1955 and after a brief hiatus as it settled in may have contributed to the improvement in batting.
Latterly playing statistics became available and are as follows
Played Won Lost Drawn Tied
1953 20 5 6 3 2
1954 19 9 9 1
1955 24 13 5 4
Fixture cards for the 1952 and 53 seasons are in the archive and show opposition much more like that of today than the pre war examples. However the first eleven play the Dental Hospital, the Royal Dick Vet College and Colonial. The seconds have fixtures against Bruntons of Musselburgh(wireworks), Lochend Works CC and Ferranti as well as Colinton Mains Church ,Portobello St Johns and the Leith Battalion BB .Religion, capitalism and cricket. Hasn’t somebody written a book about this?
The immediate post war period is marked by the recording of 2 to 3 committee meetings each year as presumably there was much to be done and enthusiasm high. There were a couple of offers of sightscreens, which do not seem to come to anything. Sightscreens at Bangholm! There is a later reference to whitewashing the wall, which seems more realistic. In 1946 a cruise on the Royal Lady was mooted. Stop sniggering at the back boy. The square was top dressed and marled and favours are done for the Club by the Heriots professional Creber .He clearly did not possess a first name .I think he may have played for Glamorgan before the 1914-18 war. ESCA proposed the idea of league cricket, which the club were opposed to. This is a recurring theme throughout this period and the clubs position remained anti until the late fifties. There seemed to be problems in finding grounds to play matches as on one Saturday 2 games are played at Bangholm. Teas had to be carefully coordinated. Transport issues are of historic interest. In 1949 it was agreed to pay all fares in excess of three and sixpence for away games in the seconds. Even in the nineteen sixties we juniors went by train to Kirkcaldy and Stenhousemuir as there was no room in the cars . There was a continuing concern at the financial position of the club even though it remains in credit. Post war austerity perhaps. In 1951 a suggestion was made to take a collection from those watching. Eh! Shades of the Lancashire League. There is also grievous complaints about the state of the square. Eventually a meeting was arranged with the Superintendant of Playing Fields. Obviously a superior sort of Council officer. In 1955 the square is relaid.
People who remained with club for a long time appear in this period. Tommy Geddes Snr acts a Secretary, Treasurer, Umpire and eventually became Club President for many years. Hamish Jardine, Jimmy Kemp, Malcolm Kelly and Jimmy Redpath make their first appearances in the early fifties. They all went on to have long connections with the club.
1956 to 1972
Records for the period vary in detail and content. The minutes until 1961 are brief but contain club and player records. Minutes from 1962 are much more detailed containing club but no player records. Some of these can be found in other sources. Available playing records as follows. Where possible second XI results are included under those of the first XI.
PLAYED WON LOST DRAWN
1956 17 6 7 4
1958 25 12 5 6
13 6 5 2
1959 29 17 4 8
19 10 7 1
1960 26 18 5 2
Won Midland League and Taylor Trophy
17 5 9 2
1962 24 8 9 6 1 TIED
1963 19 8 3 8
11 5 4 2
1964 25 4 12 9
15 5 9 1
1965 24 7 7 5
7 2 3 1
1966 25 5 11 5
First season in East League
10 5 1 2 1 TIED
1967 20 4 12 3
1969 19 3 11 3
10 1 7 1
1970 21 4 9 6
12 2 6 3
1971 15 4 10 1
10 1 8 1
1972 18 7 8 3
12 2 8 2
The outstanding batsman of the generation and probably in the clubs history was J.B.Redpath. Starting in 1951 and continuing until 1964 he made as recorded for the first XI a total of 5217 runs including 3 centuries and a top score of 122*against Castings in 1959.In the same season he scored 102*against Royal High School FP.In the club newsletter in 1960 this game was hailed as one of the Clubs best ever performances. Set to get 192 in 125 minutes they got the winning run off the fifth ball of the last over, scoring the last 36 runs in only 9 minutes. To quote ”The whole team emerged with credit from the game but the skippers example was the vital factor as indeed it was throughout the entire season. His batting, his fielding, his catches out of the blue (and there was plenty of blue in 1959) and his general leadership demanded parity from the rest of the team .In demonstration of their appreciation the Club presented him with a cricket bat from which we hope will flow an even greater aggregate of runs in 1960”.
Jimmy Redpath’s career average was 27.75.In 1959,1960 and 1961 he scored respectively 756, 613 and 614 runs .In 1959 he got his runs at an average of 47.25. Trinty’s very own Don Bradman. He also took at least 97 catches presumably mostly at slip.
During this era J.M.C. Paulis completed his career as Trinity’s greatest ever bowler. He bowled slow left arm and included a vicious quicker ball and a chinaman in his armoury. Starting to play around 1937 he retired in 1969.Records indicate that he took at least 905 wickets at an average of around 9.He also scored at least 3377 post war runs and took 74 catches. He had hands like buckets. Whilst Jimmy Paulis was away during the war years and no records are available it is likely that he played between 1941 and 1945 so adding to his formidable totals. I had the privilege to play with both these giants. What cricketers. Maybe I am biased but they seemed both in the flesh and on paper to be good enough to play for Scotland.
Between 1937 and 1963 Lewis Romanis scored over 3000 runs and took over 100 catches for the first XI. He captained the club for a number of years, captained the seconds in the mid sixties and occasionally umpired. He made his runs at the very top of the inning s against the best of the bowling. The pace bowling of Peter Rodgers was very effective between 1956 and 1963.He took 284 wickets at an average of just over 10 in effectively just 6 seasons playing for the first X1.In 1959 he took 79 wickets at 8.6,maybe the highest number of wickets taken in a season by a Trinity bowler .His opening partner Finlay Orr played from 1950 to 1963 not playing in seasons 1958 and 59.In 11 seasons he took 344 wickets at an average of about 10.Trinity were badly weakened in 1964 when both Rodgers and Orr stopped playing.
In an interesting aside in the 1960 newsletter a best ever TACC is selected (by Tommy Geddes and others I think). As follows:
To quote ”The opening bowlers would be Simpson and McLure, with Paulis and Clunie supplying the spin. Ian Bell, although perhaps the fastest we have ever had, is included as a change bowler because he lacked the accuracy of the openers. Charlie Barr is chosen as skipper ,as one of our selectors said he was a born fighter with a win at all costs approach, his keenness was infectious and he had the gift of concentration which moulded him into a very astute cricket captain”.(And provided the genes for his son to star for Scotland at cricket) .It is fun to speculate on how such an eleven might look selected from all those who played for TACC 1921-2004.
During the late fifties and early sixties TACC made three applications to join the East League. Trinity had by 1961 acquired 5 of the necessary 11 fixtures although by this time we actually played against 7 of the league teams .In 1961 none of the 7 games was lost and TACC came within a shower of rain of giving Edinburgh University their only defeat of the season. They were all out for 70(second top scorer our own Alan Ritchie) and TACC 49 for 2 when the heavens opened. Trinity went to the League meeting with fairly firm promises of 11 games with League clubs. Carlton, Brunswick (now defunct), Leith Franklin, Kircaldy (defunct), Stenhousemuir, Cupar, Melville College, Grange, Royal High, Heriots and Watsonians. All failed to confirm at the meeting that the games had been arranged as League fixtures. The meeting agreed by 7 to 6 to allow TACC into membership if by the end of March we had all 11 fixtures confirmed as League matches .By the end of March only 6 had confirmed with Watsonians and Melville College declining to accept as league fixtures. Carlton withdrew their fixture and Kircaldy and Grange did not reply. League membership denied. The stated concern of these clubs was the alleged inferior state of Bangholm.
By 1964 the club could still not be certain of gaining the last few fixtures to clinch membership..Two more would satisfy the need to have counting fixtures against 11 of the 13 league clubs. The clubs third application in 1965 was successful. Edinburgh Academicals and Edinburgh University agreed to league fixtures with only Watsonians and Melville College declining to recognize fixtures for league purposes .Club minutes record the matter with some misgiving as playing strength had been drastically reduced. JB Redpath was no longer available and the clubs strength in pace bowling had been much reduced by experienced players “being currently out of town”-a wonderfully quaint almost Woodhousian expression. Tending to their country estates or perhaps avoiding the clutches of the polis.. Mention was made of selecting schoolboys “on merit “for the first eleven. Prior to this it seems that schoolboys played for the seconds with club members filling the first eleven places. From 1966 I played in the first eleven sometimes opening the bowling against the cracks of the East League. A doubtful beneficiary of the late admission to the Leagues and of TACC older members preferring huntin ,shootin and fishin. The first seasons in the East League were hard. Problems with the batting and only” adequate bowling” according to skipper Jimmy Kemp placed TACC at the foot of the table in the first 2 seasons. In 1967 he noted that while our league opponents scored 20 runs per wicket we could only manage 8.However we did manage to win one game against Stewarts College FP. In 1968 the performance improved and TACC finished the league season with 30%. Three wins were achieved against Grange, Brunswick and Leith Franklin. The highlight of 1969 was our victory over Watsonians at Myreside with Hamish Jardine scoring 102 in overtaking their total of 186.The beer took a real bashing at Myreside that evening .It is worth noting a second victory over Watsonians in 1972. Batting first we recovered from 13 for 7 to score 103 eventually winning by 2 runs.
One of the abiding memories of the latter part of this periods were the wonderful teas provided at Bangholm under the auspices of Mrs Jardine,the mother of HR the clubs long serving wicket keeper and secretary. The spreads were famous especially the selection of sponge cakes, scones and my own favourite, flapjacks. These could be stored in flannel pockets and consumed under the tree at fine leg when not bowling. A great way to maintain energy levels-or were we just greedy pigs? Mrs J was a lovely lady and always had a kind word for the youngsters as well as encouragement to make as big an impression on the laden tea table as possible. Little encouragement was needed as we boys took poll position beside the goodies. Jack Hamilton was a particularly speedy and skilled trencherman, difficult to dislodge from his sentry post in front of the cakes.